Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Queen In Exile by Donna Hatch

Queen In Exile

Synopsis: Rumors of war hang over Princess Jeniah's peaceful country of Arden, a land that shuns both magic and warfare. Following a lifelong dream, Jeniah forms a telpathic bond with a revered creature called a chayim, who is prophesied to save her kingdom. But when a Darborian knight comes upon Jeniah with her chayim, he sees only a vicious monster about to devour a maiden, and he slays the beast.

Devastated by the loss of her chayim, and fearing that her own magic is evil, Jeniah doubts her destiny. When an enemy invades Arden City, they slaughter the people, storm the castle, and execute the entire royal family except the princess. Rescued by the knight who slew her chayim, Jeniah is now heir to the throne of Arden and the only hope for freeing her people from tyranny.

On the run and hunted by enemy soldiers, Jeniah must place her life and the fate of her kingdom in the hands of this trained killer. Torn between embracing her destiny as queen of Arden, and her love for a mere knight, she must ultimately rely on her magic to save herself and her people from death and tyranny.

My Review: Okay, I have no idea how to shrink this enormous picture. I really need to get more computer savvy. Well, at least it's a great cover...

I just recently met Donna at a retreat and I was excited to read her book. And with a beautiful princess, a knight in shining armor, and an evil villain with a personal vendetta, what's not to love? Donna does a good job of blending the fantasy world with the medieval world in which this story takes place. I feel like it's more adult than YA (meaning the characters are a little older-- at least the knight) but I also think teens will like it. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Just as a note, this book can be purchased on Amazon (if I have reviewed a book that seems unavailable, check the author's websites).

1 comment:

  1. I think this is one of the most gorgeous covers! Love it. Thanks for the close up. And yeah, I agree with your assessment that it's more adult than YA due to the ages of the characters, but my young-mom friend (as opposed to me, the old-mom)--probably barely age 20-- discovered this book and now declared Donna her new favorite author. So, yeah. Thanks for the review. I love Donna.

    ReplyDelete