Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Little Optimism

I got another rejection. This one, however, was an actual email directed to me personally-- not a form letter! Is it bad that I was excited about that even though it was still a rejection? Ha! Anyway, she said that she'd read the pages I'd submitted (another first--I'm pretty sure the others just read my query), and that it wasn't what they were looking for. She said that it was not a reflection on my strengths as a writer, but more about the current market trends.
Okay, this may be EXACTLY the same thing she told the 50 other rejections she sent out that day, but I took it as a positive step. My story is not original, this I know, but maybe my writing isn't as bad as I fear. She could just have easily had said, "look, you've really got a long way to go before this manuscript is anywhere close to publishable," right? Right?
I don't know if that's true, but that's how I'm choosing to take it. Who knew I was such an optimist?

No comments:

Post a Comment