Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My First Critique Group

Last night I went to my first critique group. There are about 15 women in the group, all who write various forms of literature and a good number that are published. I really enjoyed it.
We each had seven minutes to read the material that we brought, and then another three minutes of critique (time was kept on a timer). Everybody was positive with each other, but offered some very helpful things.
No, nobody jumped for joy or begged emphatically for more after my seven minutes was up (I'm still waiting for that reaction from somebody-- anybody. Sometimes I wonder, did the people who read the first chapter of Harry Potter or Twilight instantly know what a hit it would be some day? Not that I expect that sort of success ever, but I still wonder).
Overall, the meeting was very helpful and the ladies offered me some good suggestions that I will definitely take. The greatest part about it was just being able to interact with other people who enjoy the same things I do, and see their minds at work.
Can't wait for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment